Hi Readers and Writers,
I thought it would be fun to post some of my favorite opening lines from romance novels, so I browsed through my bookshelves and TBR list and randomly collected wonderful, intriguing opening lines from 25 top-ranking romance authors. I started with 25, but there are many more I hope to include in future blogs.
These opening lines are in no particular order and are selected from a variety of romance genres: Scifi, historical, suspense, contemporary, light, dark, and edgy erotic.
Just click on the links to find out more about the books and authors. Many of these stories are free and all are a bargain.
:1. ‘Lady Madeleine was going make the best of this night, even if it killed her. And it probably would kill her.’ Blackthorne’s Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, Book 3) by Shana Galen
2. ‘White. Everything was white. White, shimmering tiles extending down the hallway and echoing back the click of her heels.’ The Invitation, by Jennifer Bene
3. ‘Joseph’s muscles clenched, convulsing against the relentless attack. He couldn’t take much more.’
Joseph (The Kings of Guardian, Book 2) by Kris Michaels
4. ‘Looking back on the past won’t help you with the future.’
Captured by Time, by Carolyn Faulkner
5. ‘Captain Steffania Rickard of the elite Blue Daggers fumed silently as her eyes scanned the seedy brothel’s dark, empty upstairs room. Damn-it-all. I was certain I’d finally caught up to him.’
Hers to Cherish (Verdantia, Book 3) by Patricia A. Knight
6. ‘Dexter Whitlaw carefully sealed the box, securing every seam with a roll of masking tape he had stolen from WalMart the day before.’
Kill and Tell: A Novel (CIA Spies Series, Book 1) by Linda Howard
7. ‘Today, I woke up with nineteen spoons instead of twenty-two. Not literal spoons—figurative.’
Dr.Vampyre, by S.N. McKibben
8. ‘I was looking busy behind the teller window at First City National Bank one Sunday, a delicate operation that involved doodling a frame of stars around the very edge of a piece of scratch paper, when three bank robbers burst in.’
The Hostage Bargain (Taken Hostage by Kinky Bank Robbers, Book 1) by Annika Martin
9. ‘The Jefferson Suite had a reputation. Everyone said so.’ Lovely (Elite Doms of Washington Series, Book 1), by Elizabeth SaFleur
10. ‘Stone Masterson knew the small female standing on his doorstep was trouble, but he opened the door anyway.’
Heart of Stone (Frontiera series, Book 1) by Cathryn Cade
11. ‘Summer stared at the row of penises laid out in front of her—seven inches tall, standing straight up, and made of chocolate.’
Secret Ties, by Opal Carew
12. ‘I’m invisible. My husband hasn’t come on to me in months.’
More (The Evermore Series, Book 1) by Rachel De Lune
13. ‘It was the first time Rose had ever been asked to take off her clothes for a job interview.’ This Time Next Door (Oakland Hills, Book 2) by Gretchen Galway
14. "Your woman wants me.” The Satin Sash by Red Garnier
15. ‘Caroline Trent hadn’t meant to shoot Percival Prewitt, but she had, and now he was dead.’ To Catch an Heiress (Agents of the Crown, Book 1) by Julia Quinn
16. 'Have you ever wanted to put yourself in the hands of a man whose sole purpose is to give you pleasure?’ Wicked Ties (Wicked Lovers series, Book 1) by Shayla Black
17. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Explicit Instruction by Scarlett Finn
18. ‘The world was a dangerous place, but I was worse.’ Debt Inheritance (Indebted, Book 1) by Pepper Winters
19. “I’ve tried everything to get them to stop, Doc, but nothing succeeds.” Owning Rachel (Incognito, Book 2) by Madison Layle
20. ‘If you want a dose of reality, come home early.’ Come Away with Me (The Andrades) by Ruth Cardello
21. ‘There is one serious drawback to being owned by two men.’ What She’s Looking For by Trent Evans
22. “It’s not possible.”
Castor leaned back in his chair and contemplated the ashen pallor of the man seated across the card table from him. “The cards don’t lie, Melton.” The Duke’s Gamble: A Regency Erotic Novella by Elyse Huntington
23. ‘Jessica Randall scrambled out of the water-filled ditch, her heart hammering. Frigid rain slashed through the dark night, drenching her face and clothing.’
Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowland Series, Book 1) by Cherise Sinclair.
24. "It doesn't bite," he smiles. The pages don't; the man definitely does.' The Arrangement: Unchained Vice by Nicolette Hugo.
25. 'Rowan ran her hand over the cool metal of the chain suspended from the ceiling, drawing her fingers along the sleek, steely surface, one link, then the next.' The Dark Garden, by Eden Bradley.
I hope you've enjoyed the opening lines and discovered new books and authors. These are some of my favorites and they've inspired me to write better stories, start to finish.
Until next time,
(Authors- If any information is incorrect, or you would like your entry removed, please just let me know.)
Stargazer, daydreamer, erotic romance composer, sweeping snow off a cottage near Canadian Rockies.